Does anyone else ever sit down to write and get distracted by other little things on the internet, then forget what you're going to write about? I have to say, Facebook is my mental poison. I love it, because I've been in contact with people I haven't spoken to in years. But it's bad. It sucks thoughts and life and attention. It's kind of a false method of sincere communication, just like email pretends to be a letter, and texting has become a substitute for a phone call. Don't get me wrong, these are all good in their own way, but they aren't the same as a REAL relationship.
I guess I'll start with updates. This week I set out to clean, clean, clean. Monday morning, though, Conlan and I tried the library again. He hasn't been real responsive, and he's even sat down and cried while the other kids have fun. I'm determined that he's not going to be socially impaired...I want him to have friends. So, we've been going to the library, regardless of his attitude. It started out pretty much the same. He sat and cried, while I danced and stretched. Eventually though, he warmed up, just the slightest bit. The last time we were there, he cried and wanted water the whole time, so he had his water cup in the car this time. After that, I did the weekly grocery shopping and tried the new Vietnamese restaurant for lunch. I like Chinese food, I love Thai food, but I crave Vietnamese. I can't get enough of it. I'm a huge fan of Pho, which is Vietnamese noodle soup. There's a place back in Longview that we went to all the time, and this was not quite the same. In Longview, the owner would bring us complimentary spring rolls to sample her new recipe, and she would give us her mom's special pho recipe on Mother's Day. Granted, we went there all the time, and she knew us by name, but still. It's a small place with no atmosphere, but I loved it. This new restaurant had plenty of atmosphere, but it wasn't real cozy. That's okay; it's different. The food wasn't quite as good either. One thing I know now...when you buy food to go with them, the meat does not come cooked. The meat cooks in the soup, and Mrs. Nguyen always just put it in the broth so it was cooked by the time we got home.
I can't remember much about Tuesday. I haven't been feeling that great lately, and I think I spent most of the day on the couch.
Wednesday was Jonathan's day off. (Yey!!!) We woke up late like most people do on Saturday and relaxed. I was determined to get some cleaning done, so I spent time picking up. He joined me after a while, but spent most of his day playing with his son. :) Right around lunch time, his mom called my phone and said they were coming through to stay the night. We had suspected that, but didn't know for sure. They stopped off in Colorado after the wedding and spent time with Jonathan's grandparents and then went backpacking. So, we got to see them again. (Yey!!) I know that we didn't need to clean for them, but them coming gave me the extra little boost I needed to get things done. They got in about 5 or so, and we had a nice, relaxing time with them.
Thursday was much like Tuesday. I didn't do much.
Today I plan to get ready for our next trip. Conlan and I leave Monday for Houston, and my sister gets married that next Saturday. My parents were very generous, and they're flying all of us down there so we don't have to drive 8 hours each way. Jonathan will join us the Friday before the wedding. I am a little nervous for several reasons. First of all, I haven't flown without Jonathan before. Especially with Conlan. He's a little handful on a plane sometimes, and I'm afraid I won't be able to control him. Second, I don't like going to Houston without him. I grew up just around the corner from where my parents live now, and I find that the surrounding area haunts me with ghosts from my past. It's not like that at my parents house; thankfully they moved a year after Jonathan and I got married, and their new house is a safe haven. But the drive there digs up all sorts of memories, some bad, some bittersweet, some good. I don't know why I allow myself to hang on to all those old feelings. I'm not sure I do it intentionally. I'll be fine here, but then we go visit my parents, and they all resurface again. It's so strange how something as subtle as the way something smells can do that. When Jonathan's with me, he helps me remember God has brought me where I am today, and my past doesn't matter anymore.
Anyway, my boy is demanding my attention. I'm all over that. :) Have a fantastic Friday everyone.
Friday, July 11, 2008
Distractions and Bittersweet Memories
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
just a little reminder, most children (especially first children who don't have siblings constantly surrounding them) are not "social" players until around age three. :)
I'm exactly the same way going back to visit my family. I tend to start feeling like a ten-year-old or fifteen-year-old or someone I used to be if Daniel's not there to root me in the present. I totally understand and hope all goes well for you.
Also, a friend of mine writes an online column, and I love her article about flying alone with little kids: http://charleston.savvysource.com/blogpost1193_8_layover-lifesavers-tips-for-traveling-with-tots. Maybe a tip from that could make your trip a little easier?
Post a Comment