Monday, June 15, 2009

Changeling

This movie recently came out on video. It was directed by Clint Eastwood, who generally takes difficult topics and puts them on film (ex.: Million Dollar Baby). Normally, I'd recommend his movies. As a young mother with young children, I DO NOT recommend this film. I should have had enough sense not to watch a movie where the premise is a mother returning home to find her 9 year old boy missing. It's based on a true story and has a wonderful message concerning corruption in government. Beware: here's a plot spoiler. I did not expect the serial killer sub-plot and unhappy ending. Not only was it unhappy, but it was inconclusive. There was no resolution. Not cool. Anyway, remember to hang on tight to your children. Gnite!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I felt the same way when I watched Seven pounds (I'm going to spoil it too.) However, I didn't know that it ended in suicide. Considering my best friend and cousin committed suicide and the movie showed full detail I simply couldn't handle it. I wept and it messed me up for days afterwards. It was a misplaced guilt. He felt he owed his life for his mistakes and was out to determine who was worthy of his life. Misplaced salvation. Praise God our salvation is in tact and we don't have to "pay" for our sins.

Bethany Bassett said...

I didn't like Changeling either. The previews made me think that it was some sort of government conspiracy movie that would end in the mother prevailing and getting her child back... but no. Incredibly depressing and scary. At least I'm starting to get a feel for what kind of movies I should avoid watching!
P.S. - Mystic River, which I think was also directed by Clint Eastwood, has the same feel. It's very well made, but leaves you with the same heavy sadness at the end.