Thursday, July 22, 2004

So I sit here today, not a ton to do. That's pretty typical of work this week. Which is hilarious since it was so busy last week. I was driving to work this morning and a song by Nicole Nordeman came on my cd player. The more I hear the song, the more the lyrics attack my heart. God is really humbling me through that song. I have the bridge as an away message, but the whole thing is REALLY powerful. So I decided that I wanted to post the lyrics online. The words themselves are really touching, but it has a lot of impact when put with the music. I suggest you listen to the song. The artist is Nicole Nordeman. The album is Wide Eyed, and so is the song.

When I met him on a sidewalk
He was preaching to a mailbox
Down on 16th Avenue
And he told me he was Jesus
Sent from Jupiter to free us
With a bottle of tequila and one shoe
He raged about repentance
He finished every sentence
With a promise that the end was close at hand
I didn't even try to understand

He left me wide eyed in disbelief and disillusion
I was tongue tied, drawn by my conclusions
So I turned and walked away
And laughed at what he had to say
Then causally dismissed him as a fraud
I forgot he was created in the image of my God

When I met her in a bookstore
She was browsing on the first floor
Through a yoga magazine
And she told me in her past life
She was some plantation slave's wife
She had to figure out what that might mean
She believes the healing powers of her crystals
Can bring balance and new purpose to her life
Sounds nice

She left me wide eyed in disbelief and disillusion
I was tongue tied, drawn by my conclusions
So I turned and walked away
And laughed at what she had to say
Then causally dismissed her as a fraud
I forgot she was created in the image of my God

Not so long ago, a man from Galilee
Fed thousands with His bread and His theology
And the truth He spoke
Quickly became the joke
Of educated, self-inflated Pharisees like me

And they were wide eyed in disbelief and disillusion
They were tongue tied, drawn by their conclusions
Would I have turned and walked away
And laughed at what He had to say
And casually dismissed Him as a fraud
Unaware that I was staring at the image of my God

(If you want more Nicole Nordeman lyrics, you can go to
http://lyrics.rare-lyrics.com/N/Nicole-Nordeman.html)


Jonathan showed me this song a while ago. It's been having a lot of impact on my thinking a lot lately. I have a really incredible husband. I remember in high school, Beth Altendorf, Berhany Eubanks, Sheridan Saylor and I used to talk about wanting a spiritually sexy guy. Well ladies, I found me one and married him!!

The reason that I brought that up is that this song makes me think a lot about a book I'm currently reading. (Jonathan recommended it.) It's called The Visitation by Frank Peretti. There is a small town in Washington that becomes plagued by miracles. I'm not sure yet what the purpose of the miracles is or who is actually performing them. All I know is that people all over the town are neglecting their work and their families for these miracles. A man named Brandon keeps referring to himself as Jesus. It just doesn't seem right. I know there are stories in the Bible where men leave their families to follow Christ. But these people don't leave their families; they're all still in the town. They just neglect them for the sake of spreading gossip about the miracles. ANYway, basically I'm convinced it's a scam of some sort, but I'm not far enough into the book to know.

The reason the song reminds me of that is because in the book, people get so caught up in miracles and tongues and signs from God and other stuff like that, they completely miss God all together. The song is kinda the same. It talks about how we get up on our religious high horses and completely miss God in the people around us.

So yeah. That's it. I have 20 minutes til lunch break. I should do something. Adios.



No comments: