Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My Beef With Cakes
I have recently developed a beef with cakes. I know it sounds weird, but I am getting frustrated with cakes. I joined a cake decorating class at Hobby Lobby in March. I really like it. But I have been noticing lately that a lot, if not most of the people in the cake decorating business care more about what their cake looks like than what it tastes like. I'm currently in a fondant and gumpaste class. Most of what I'm learning in this class is edible, but doesn't taste good. What's the purpose of making a cake that looks like a shopping bag or a typewriter if no one wants to eat it? Sure, fondant is pretty and all, but most people just peel it off. (For those of you that don't know, fondant is the icing that you put over those really smooth wedding cakes, and a lot of it tastes like playdoh.) I feel like I'm wasting my time and money in these classes, because I don't want to make a cake that tastes like poo...or playdoh. I joined the classes so that I could learn to make cakes for Conlan's birthdays. I'm not sure I'll ever make Conlan a cake covered in fondant. He probably won't like it. I have options to make my own fondant, so I'll probably try that before I give up completely.

4 comments:

Glenna said...

I absolutely share your frustration and I am a cake decorator. I used to have my own business (years ago) and I had tons of brides who wanted fondant until I said "Let me make a demo cake for you in fondant." They always ended up going with buttercream for the taste. However, having said that I'm making 2 cakes for a family birthdya party next week. One will be fondant because it's a sculpture of a truck but the other will be in buttercream. I guarantee you right now everyone will ooh and ahh over the truck cake but they'll EAT the buttercream cake. I don't know the answer either.

Bethany Bassett said...

Hey, Conlan would probably love if you just dumped a bunch of cake and frosting in a bucket, stirred it around, and gave it a cool name like "Albuquerque Train Wreck!" I've always appreciated cakes that taste good rather than look pretty... Of course, I could have just convinced myself of that since most of my cakes have more "character" than beauty. :)

The Peacock Pearl said...

in the words of mighty mouse, "here i come to save the day!" ok... so to preface with a little resume to give myself some credibility, for sam's 1st birthday i made a gingerbread boy cake, it was cute but didn't taste wonderful. for his second birthday i made a nemo cake with fins made out of sugar cookies. for his fourth i made a firetruck that had wheels and a latter and all that, both of those were decent tasting cause. for micah first i made a big flower with a ladybug on it ...i wanted to do fondant but remembered how bad it tasted so i just used the wilton buttercream recipe (which always turns out ok). for brodericks last birthday i made and R2D2 and then in february bronwyn wanted a cake that was red on the sides and white on top with a rose. so i thought the best way to do that was to use fondant to make it look really elegant and girly. WELL i remembered Katie Abbot talking about a fondant recipe she had found and it tasted good. so i tried it. BINGO!!!! it's yum yum yummy!!! here's the link http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
enjoy, baby cakes!!!!

sarah said...

just don't give your children cakes ;-) they'll never know the difference until they find out.
I only had one birthday cake when I was 9 and see what a great person I turned out to be! hehe.
btw - i took the very same class at hobby lobby when I was 15.