Well, I promised that I would share about Bridgeway Church.
I loved it. So did Jonathan. There was something incredibly genuine, yet slightly Bohemian about the church. Anyone who has known me long enough knows that Bohemian blood runs in my veins. Even though I don't always know how to express it, I find joy in things like drum circles and colorful, flowing dresses. I guess it comes out in certain areas, like my love of Waterdeep and 100 Portraits (hippie worship bands) and taking off my shoes whenever I can (ex. during worship or my wedding). Anyways, I have been thinking lately that the hippie living inside of me was dying. Practicality seemed to be taking over. I felt the need to grow up.
Then we went to Bridgeway. The mix of people was the first thing. There were people from all generations at that church. Everything from older couples in suits to college students to young families and couples. There were a lot of people who were artsy. The guy in front of us had long hair and a long beard and no shoes. :) It was a fairly large church, but they were in a building that they owned, but I don't think they built. It was near an industrial district and looked like an old warehouse. Even though the congregation was large, the atmosphere was very intimate. The worship was genuine. It was very personal and very heartfelt. The message was very good as well. The pastor is a British man. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it made things interesting. Kinda like when Bo uses his Bo-isms. Though I think it's been a while since we've heard new words...I think you get the idea. He talked about the first chapter of Ruth. It was really good. I really identified with Naomi, who was honest about her bitter situation, but was faithful to God regardless. I want to be like that. I don't think I've been faithful enough to God in my recent situation, and I want to learn to not become bitter. I also want to learn from Ruth as well, who showed her strong devotion both to her mother-in-law and God. Anyway, it was very good.
As I mentioned before we went to the church, the small groups or "house churches" are based around areas of ministry. These ranged from college ministry to artistic community outreach. There were several that were marked as suitable for families with young children. (I completely understand this, because it would be difficult to minister to OKC artists late on a Saturday night with an 18 month old. We want him to be involved.) They had volunteering at the Children's Hospital, Ethiopian community outreach, and some more. Lots of great ways to get involved.
The downside of this church? (There's a downside?) The location. It's all the way on the other side of Oklahoma City. Even though that's only a 30 minute drive, we don't really have an opportunity to get to know our own community. We'd prefer to attend somewhere closer if possible. So, we're looking at churches here in Moore. If we don't find anything else, Bridgeway will probably be the place for us.
For you Crossroads youth/youth workers, do you know the name of the person who often speaks at youth events? We're pretty sure we went to the church he's from. Bud gave us the name "Gateway," but there's no Gateway Church in OKC. If we can get his name, we would like to meet him next time we go back there. Let me know. Thanks!!
Our day was good. Conlan and I giggled all day. All day. :) He didn't nap in the morning, so after lunch I put him down for a long one. I got a lot of boxes unpacked. Our house is almost unpacked! I'm so excited!! That's about all that got done today, so yeah!! Have a great evening!
Monday, May 19, 2008
A Productive Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
I got his name from Beth today. It's Matt Palmer. He's married to Bo's cousin Leah (or something like that...) He's a mess. :) Hey, I like that devotion to your Mother-in-law thing....
Post a Comment