Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Red Chile Enchiladas

So, I thought I'd share the red chile enchilada recipe that I use with you guys. Connie does it a little different. Also, there's quite a bit more to do if you don't have red chile powder. You have to boil the chiles, seed them, blend them...lots more to do. (But you can find New Mexico chiles at Wal-Mart.) Anyway, this is what I do when I have the powder...it's the recipe for the sauce on the bag.

2 Tbsp cooking oil
3 Tbsp flour
4 Tbsp red chile powder
2 cups water
2 cloves garlic, minced (I use a tsp of minced garlic.)
1 tsp salt

1. Heat cooking oil in a pan.
2. Add flour and brown.
3. Add chile powder and mix.
4. Add water and stir until lumps are dissolved.
5. Add garlic and salt.
6. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes on medium heat.

I always add at least a an extra cup of water after I make the sauce. It almost always ends up too thick.

Tortillas:
1. Fill a skillet with oil.
2. After it heats up, put a corn tortilla in the oil until it starts to bubble (maybe 10 seconds.) If you leave it in too long, it will harden too much. Flip it over in the oil for a few more seconds.
3. Three torillas are used for a full size enchilada. Make as many tortillas as needed.

Assembly:
1. Dip first tortilla in red chile sauce (or pour sauce over tortilla.) Place on plate flat.
2. Top with chopped onions and shredded cheese. (The onions are optional. It's good with onions though.)
3. Repeat twice.
4. Top with a fried egg.

We put in in the microwave for about 30 seconds to melt the cheese prior to putting the egg on.

Anyway, I know Connie's sauce is different. I don't think she uses garlic. Give these a chance. Pancake style enchiladas are the greatest. :)

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

It doesn't sound bad at all when you write it all out. :) I do like the fried corn tortilla taste. Thanks for the recipe.

sarah said...

I know it was short and we were both wiped out - but it was great seeing you! Thanks again for the bed and the hospitality.
I love you to death as well. :-)
sj

sarah said...

p.s. thank you for being kind to me! :-]