I had a lot of time to just think today. I spent a large portion of the afternoon shampooing the carpet in Conlan's room. As I mentioned, my mom comes tomorrow, and she is allergic to Oscar. I figured she'd be spending a lot of time on Conlan's floor playing, so I cleaned his carpet. Anyway, I spent a lot of time thinking about my past. This isn't something I like to do. I've made some pretty stupid mistakes in my life, and too often I reflect on those mistakes, wondering what life would be like if I hadn't made them.
The thing that sticks out the most is that I wouldn't have met my wonderful husband. One of my biggest mistakes in college led me right to Jonathan. It was almost two years before we got to know each other, but that initial meeting always had an impact. Unfortunately, I often tear myself down. I'm unwilling to forgive myself for my mistakes, even though they are behind me. I'll think that I'm finally completely over them, but then I find myself beating myself up again whenever I have time to think. There's one line in a David Crowder song that I try to think of in times like this. It's just a song, but it's true. He says, "You make everything glorious," repeats that a few times, and then says, almost as a footnote, "So what does that make me?" Strange. But true.
That led my thoughts to a verse. 2 Timothy 3:13 says, "if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself." This verse has meant so much to me. I don't have faith in God to release me from my past. I choose to lick my wounds and not let them heal. Even when I think everything's finally okay, I allow myself to dwell on what might have been, when God has given me everything I could possibly hoped for! I have the most beautiful family, did you know that? I have an amazing husband, who works hard to provide, who looks at me every morning with stars in his eyes, who kisses my forehead softly when we lay down to sleep. I have a fantastic child, who doubles over with uncontrolable laughter when you tickle him, who chases after the dog because he loves to play, who greets you enthusiastically with "Hi!" when you pick him up in the morning. My heart melts each and every day.
I am holding tight to the promise that I can get over my self pity and once again understand God's faithfulness. I haven't been faithful. But He has. I have some song lyrics that came into my head while cleaning. Anyone remember Jennifer Knapp? I know it's been a while, but I still find her an incredible song writer. I used to love singing this song. I haven't sung it for a long time. Anyway, it's called Faithful to Me.
All the chisels I've dulled carving idols of stone
That have crumbled like sand 'neath the waves
I have recklessly built all my dreams in the sand
Just to watch them all wash away
Through another day, another trial
Another chance to reconcile
To One who sees past all I've seen
And reaching out my weary hand
I pray that You'd understand
You're the only one who's faithful to me.
All the pennies I've wasted in my wishing well
I have thrown like storms to the sea
I have cast my lots, dropped my guard, searched aimlessly
For a faith to be faithful to me
Through another day, another trial,
Another chance to reconcile
To One who sees past all I've seen
And reaching out my weary hand
I pray that You'd understand
You're the only one who's faithful to me
You're the only one who's faithful to me
God bless.
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Alone with my thoughts...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
I still listen to Jennifer Knapp when no one's around. :) I know exactly what you're going through, and I tried to work through a lot of that regret last year. I hated the feeling I'd get inside when remembering ANY period of my life, focusing on all the bad or stupid or even just naive things I've done. Now, every time one of those feelings crops up, I just remind myself that I'm no longer regreting it. It was all an important part of my (can I be totally cliche?) journey, and it's okay. "All things made new..."
what a great song.
and
I love you.
alot.
I can totally relate! I haven't felt that way in years but I really think a turning point for me was to just share with other people all the stuff I regretted. When we did Breaking Free at LeTU I shared a lot with my group (where I met Sarah Jo! =) ) and then When Godly People Do Ungodly Things... I shared a lot with that group too. People I didn't even know. And they prayed for me to KNOW - not just at an intellectual level, but at the heart level - that I was free from it all. And it was seriously a miraculous thing that happened. I will be praying that for you, too! You probably didn't do anything nearly as bad as me, either, lol! =)
Today, I honestly wouldn't trade any of the stupid things I did. I know God used every single little bit of it to draw me to Him, to REALLY know his love and forgiveness, to have a major glimpse of grace... Not that those things were the least bit good, but I see how massively God has USED those things for good that I can't even say I wish they had never happened anymore. He has used them in my life and in the lives of others, too.
So I'm praying that you will have that peace too, a deep heart-knowledge of the things you are saying, and I'm waiting expectantly for God to answer that prayer! =)
::hugs::
Post a Comment