Thursday, July 24, 2008

Coffee and Tranquility

I can't think of anything more wonderful than spending the morning with a cup of coffee and thoughts of God's goodness. Right now, my world is relatively at peace. Sure, things are not all perfect, and they never will be. I can't remember where I read it, but I remember seeing something about life not being a series of hills and valleys all separate, but more fluid than that. It's never all great, and it's never all bad. Struggles and contentment happen simulaneously. Anyway, if it was on your blog where I read it, I'm sorry I can't credit you. I've been reading so much lately, I can't remember what goes where. Well, I sit here and type, fresh in my mind the thoughts of Brenda and Sunny and Sarah Jo. Conlan dances badly (though VERY cute) to the music of Clifford, and I smile.

This week has been a good one so far. We currently have some visitors; a friend of Jonathan's and his wife, a past floormate of mine. They were at a wedding this past weekend. They got to our house VERY early Wednesday morning (around 3), so Wednesday they slept until lunch. Jonathan had the day off, so we went out to the Oklahoma Bombing Memorial. It brought about such a mixture of pain, reverence and determination. I hadn't remembered that a daycare was on the second floor of the building, and every time I saw a child I broke down in tears. It is very worth going to see, if you're interested. It is an important landmark in our country's history; America is not invincible, no matter how much we think we are. 9/11 was just a continuation of the same, though it was from outside the country and not inside. I think we allow those moments to affect us for a while, and then we choose to move on with our lives as nothing ever happened. Sure, we say "We will never forget," but we do. At least I do.

Paul and Annie are still sleeping, and I'm not sure what the plans for the day are right now. At some point they're going to visit relatives. Conlan and I may go out to the farmer's market. Have a great day.

2 comments:

Brenda Arce said...

Next time we visit my parents we have to go to the city. I've never been and that would be great to visit the bombing site. Very sobering I'm sure!

Nadine said...

I can imagine how moving it was to visit the memorial. How tragic that ever happened.