Thursday, August 28, 2008

Banana bread

I am struggling greatly to find a good recipe for banana bread. I have some brown bananas in my freezer and need to do something with them. I tried one a while back that was a blueberry banana bread, but for some reason that one was soggy. I made a peanut butter banana bread yesterday, but it isn't very banana-y at all. Does anyone have a recipe for a GREAT banana bread? I'm starting to get upset about this...

8 comments:

Sunny Ellis said...

I have a pretty good banana bread recipe. I'll dig it out and post it for you. It was my grandma's recipe.

The Clevelands said...

Kelly - I am a blog lurker and have come across your blog from many different spots (Connie, Dana Huber to name a couple). I'm a homeschool mom who moved to Longview a litle over a year ago. I do enjoy reading your blog. I have a banana bread recipe that my husband swears by. Hope you don't mind if I post it.

Laura Cleveland

1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 c sugar
1/4 c margarine
1 c mashed bananas (I use about 3)
2 eggs
2 1/4 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bakding soda
1 c chocolate chips (I think the original recipe called for walnuts)

Combine softened cream cheese, sugar, and margarine; mixing until well blended. Blend in banana and eggs. Add combined dry ingredients, mixing just until moistend. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 70 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.

Kelly said...

Thanks ladies!! I've been needing a banana bread recipe, and the internet is suprisingly lacking in good ones.

Kelly said...

Oh, and Laura, nice to meet you! I've seen your name around, and I think Amiee mentioned you the other day. I now know who Laura C. is!! :) Hope you enjoy!!

Bethany Bassett said...

Mm, Laura's recipe looks pretty great! I might have to try it, but until then, here's my current favorite:

Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping

1 ½ C. all-purpose flour
1 C. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 C. mashed ripe banana (2 or 3 bananas)
2 large eggs
½ C. vegetable oil
¼ C. honey
¼ C. water

Topping:
2 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 ½ Tbs. packed dark brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9”x5” loaf pan and line with parchment paper, letting it hang over sides.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the banana, eggs, oil, honey, and water. Add the dry ingredients and stir well. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.

4. In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients. Sprinkle them evenly over the batter.

5. Bake about 1 hour, or until a tester inserted near the middle comes out clean. Let cool at least 30 min. before removing from pan, being careful not to dislodge topping. (Because everybody knows the topping is the best part!)

Connie said...

Do you have the pink "Cooking light" annual recipe's 2001? on p. 108 is Jamaican banana bread that is very good. I don't put the extra topping on (lazy me..) but it's amazing too. I can email it if you don't have that book. (I think I gave you that one....it's the magic one ;)

Jaime said...

Here's one that I was told was a Weight Watchers recipe. It's easy and delicious! I don't add nuts, but you can for a little crunch.

Weight Watchers Banana Bread

Ingredients:
2/3 C sugar
1/4 C butter
2 eggs
1 C mashed banana (or more)
1/4 C water
1 2/3 C flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder

Beat sugar and butter together. Add eggs, mashed banana and water. In separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together. Add to wet mixture. Mix well, pour into greased bread pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

If you bake it in a Pampered Chef stone bread pan, you'll love it even more! :-)

Vashey Fam said...

Yes!! I've got it! It took me for-EVER to find! I finally did in an old church cookbook. It's on my blog under recipes! It's Jon's favorite thing that I make.