After an evening of tears and unwillingness to understand, I am facing the day with a new confidence...sort of. We're going to relish the weather (low 60s this morning) and head out to our favorite park. No, I probably won't meet anyone new there. I probably won't make any friends. But I think that something God is teaching me right now is that His timing is not mine. Ick. As simple a lesson as it may seem to be, it's definitely a hard one for me to swallow right now.
On a completely different note, Friday night we are going to a young married's party for couples in a church we have been visiting and are thinking about joining. We showed up for the Sunday school Sunday morning and it was the first thing anyone mentioned to us. Several different couples (as well as the small group leader and the pastor of the church) invited us to this get together, but no one made us feel like we had to. But everyone made us feel welcome. Jonathan has spent this week emailing the pastor, and he has given us the details and let us know that people will be bringing their kids. I know that's not a big deal to some people, but to us, that's a HUGE deal. We don't have really anyone to babysit (other than Jeannie, who I want to be sure and reconnect with first), so "date night" get togethers are difficult for us to participate in. Second, when asked what we could bring, they told us "chips, drinks, or dessert." This made me so happy! The pastor didn't tell us, "Oh, no, you don't need to bring anything." That makes me feel like an outsider. When I ask if I can bring/do anything, I expect to be put to work. A lot of that has to do with the situation at the in-law's home, where tons of people are often being cooked for, and there's often a lot to do. When you ask, you get an answer. This is a wonderful thing to me, because I automatically feel like I'm at home. So...hopefully when I ask if I can chop some veggies on Friday night, they'll hand me a knife and put me on the tomatoes. :)
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Hard Lessons and New Friends?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
I hope you guys are able to connect with some people there at the church. I know people's attitudes about children make a huge difference... We've never been to a single Bible study at our church here just because there are no options for children. It sounds like you guys are going into a good situation though! And I'm sorry about the park. I've realized that those junior high games don't always end with adulthood. There's always the self-centeredness and struggle for popularity, and both become very obvious on the playground. :)
Hi Kelly - I know I've never met you, but feel like I know a little about you from your blog. I just want to provide hopefully a little encouragement for you.
We moved to Longview from Kansas about 18 months ago. There were many tears on my part - we were going to be so far away from my family and my very best friends. I spent many a day and night crying out to God 'why are we here' even though I knew this was God's provision.
A couple of Bible passages I relied on (maybe taking them out of context, but they got me through it) was:
Psalm 138:8 - "The Lord will accomplish what concerns me . . ."
He knew that meeting people and making firends was a concern to me and I had confidence he would accomplish it for me.
and
Isaiah 58:11 - "The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land . . ."
I initially felt like the move to East Texas was the sun-scorched land. Again, I clung to this verse, knowing that he would satisfy my needs.
I'm hoping this encouraged you just a little. We've been here 18 months and I do feel that I have some very good friends here. It took a little while - I met them through our church Sunday school class, our homeschool group, and then just getting more involved in the church.
I'm sure once you get settled on a local church and are able to get more involved, you'll have lots of folks you'll be able to call friend.
((((hugs))) I love having a house full of people that I love. :) I am SO looking forward to Christmas.
Post a Comment