Saturday, November 08, 2008

Scary Moment

To start this off, I have to tell you a little bit about a dream I had last night that was incredibly disturbing. I dreamt that Conlan was poisoned by one of our family members by spraying Windex in his mouth while he was sleeping. The hospital took him and wouldn't let me stay in the room with him. I couldn't get a hold of Jonathan. (I'm keeping the family member's name to myself, because if this person were to ever find out (though they do not read my blog), they would probably be very hurt and devastated...not knowing how random and strange my dreams are all the time.) Now to my scary moment.

Conlan went down for a nap at 1:00. Normally (at least since we threw out the pacifier a few weeks ago), naps are a bit of an ordeal. He'll play for quite a while before he actually sleeps. Plus, about 1 hour into his nap, I have to go in and change his diaper because he intentionally poops so he doesn't have to sleep. (My mom says he's an expert at getting out of his naps.) Well, he was unusually quiet today. I figured he was actually sleeping, but I figured I'd check anyway. When I walked in, he was holding a tube of diaper rash cream...open. He also had it smeared around his mouth and on his gums. Because of my dream, I was trying my hardest not to panic. I had no idea how long he had had the cream. So, I grabbed Conlan, told him not to eat the diaper cream, tried to hold myself together, and ran for the phone book to get the number to Poison Control.

The man at Poison Control was incredibly helpful and kind. He assured me that most likely, Conlan didn't eat enough to cause him any harm. He told me to give Conlan something to eat and drink, and then wait for 30 minutes. If he threw up, call him back. If not, Conlan was going to be fine. Most kids who get into it only eat enough to cause a minor stomach ache. About that time, Conlan started jabbering away, and the Poison Control man said he should be fine. (He could hear him in the background.) I talked to my mom on the phone for the next half hour so I wouldn't break down in tears. We have a tube of Vaseline that we use around his mouth (he likes to dribble his drinks) and lips (when they get chapped), so we think that's probably what he was using it for. There wasn't much in his mouth really at all. It was a small thing and not a really big deal, but it was scary nonetheless.

Conlan is about to go back down for his nap. However, he's going in a different room in his playpen for this nap, and the diaper rash cream is moving to the bathroom cabinet.

4 comments:

Connie said...

His Daddy ate almost an entire bottle of children's Tylenol. That's when I learned from the nice people at the poison control center that a bottle of children's Tylenol purposefully contains just under a dangerous dose. They said he'd be a little sleepy (GOOD!) but ok. Whew! I hate moments like that. By the way, I had weird dreams like that when I was pregnant too.

Kate said...

I have bizarre dreams when I'm pregnant too. And I've called poison control so many times I have the number memorized, lol. I always hope they don't keep track of how many times I've called. =P

Em sprayed Lysol in her mouth once, ate a bunch of toothpaste one time, dropped alcohol in her eye (she thought it was eye drops)... I don't remember what else but there have probably been more... I ate a bunch of Tylenol when I was little too. =P

Bethany Bassett said...

Wow, that sounds pretty terrifying! (Both the dream and the diaper-rash dessert.) I'm glad everyone's okay.

Vashey Fam said...

You know, I need to put that number on my fridge! So bizarre to dream that and then for him to eat the cream. Maybe the dream made it worse, huh? Maybe you thought it was setting you up for something terrible. So glad it wasn't! Don't stop writing about the potty. I need to know this stuff for Wyatt when we get there!