Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Encouraging Words

"Life is inconvenient."

Our Mentor Mom at MOPS said that this morning as she shared with us. In fact, that was her point. Life isn't convenient. Things don't always work out the way we want them to...why should they? It never fails that when we're finally on time or running late AGAIN that something will happen to make us late or later. It has nothing to do with planning. Life just works that way.

So how is that encouraging?

It's encouraging to know that I'm not the only one. That most people just dismiss days like yesterday as "Mondays," and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, there's a grain of truth to it. Garfield is not the only one who wants to sleep in after the weekend, and there's not necessarily anything wrong with me wanting the same. It's not even a problem that it happens on other days as well. Life is inconvenient. We are not made to live boring, repetitive lives. Things are going to happen to shake our worlds up a little bit. And if it takes poop to break my plans and humble me a bit, then poop God will give.

It's encouraging because of my recent attitude towards my child. I mentioned a few days ago that I've been worrying about Vera. Little things that have been happening have contributed to that. For example, having to take our crib back did a real number on my emotions. To me it seemed like a sign that we wouldn't have a bed for our baby, but we wouldn't need one. In reality, I think it was just inconvenient. (Though I'm not sure it was really...we get a new crib out of the deal...) I have to trust God throughout this whole process. Can God take our child? Of course He can. Will He? Not necessarily. I have been interpreting little events as signs that God was going to take Vera back, whereas with the last child, I heard very clearly and knew very concretely that He was going to do so. Like I said, that doesn't mean God won't take Vera (or Conlan or any of our other future children), but I have to trust Him that He knows what He is doing in this.

So, hopefully this is encouraging to someone else as well. Life is inconvenient. Trials will happen. Generally that's a good sign that growth is on the way.

3 comments:

Bethany Bassett said...

Lovely Kelly,
I got your letter in the mail yesterday; thank you! It's amazing how much our lives have changed since college, since marrying and having children. Sometimes it feels like a step back to spend our days cleaning poop out of carpet instead of studying and volunteering and marching toward a career... but boy is it character building. :) I struggle a lot with staying home with little needy ones, but they fill life with even more love and laughter than with poop (hard to believe, but true!). My heart goes out to you with your fears about Vera. I can only imagine what a tender place you're in right now, but I do hope you'll be able to feel the full swell of excitement and hope over her birth, no matter the risk. {{Hugs}}

sarah said...

Bethany's comment was so wonderful, I think I'll just agree with it.
I love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi sweet Kelly, A couple of days ago I came across the cutest little pair of booties, newborn size, that were just calling out for us to buy them for Vera. I truly believe that our Great Granddaughter will be another huge joy in our lives. Her Great Grandma Vera would have loved her namesake. We love you and your precious family, Grandma and Grandpa Janes