Monday, January 19, 2009

Stop the World, I Want to Get Off!

A play from the 60s, and the theme for my day.

I know that kids thrive on schedule, but I didn't realize until today how much I thrive on schedule as well. We went this morning to the zoo. It's free on Mondays throughout the winter, and after going this morning, I can see why. It was COLD! Rewind for a minute though, to the beginning of the day...

Jonathan and I were up and going as usual, and I went to get Conlan out of bed. (Reminder: he is currently sleeping on his mattress on the floor due to his crib/toddler bed being recalled.) I could hear him whining a little bit, and as I opened the door, I found him standing in the middle of his room, fully clothed, with poop running down his legs. I think I spoke too soon when I mentioned that his previous poop on the floor wasn't a crisis, because this one was. I, having an extremely sensitive gag reflex, turned around and ran away from the room, leaving my poor, soiled child standing there crying. Luckily, his daddy was still home. Jonathan stripped him down and sent him into the bathroom, where he de-diapered him and rinsed him down before getting him in the bath. This process started at about 10 until 8. We were leaving for the zoo at 9. Jonathan had to leave for work, so I bathed Conlan and starting working on the stains left on the bedroom floor. I also had to wash all of his sheets and stuffed animals which were all smeared with nasty poo. I attempted to get this all done prior to 9, but I eventually just called the person I was meeting up with and told her I'd be late. I fed Conlan breakfast in classic BRAT style (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) and worked on getting lunches together. As I did that, I discovered that we had no bread for sandwiches. On top of that, we had run out of bananas and applesauce in the last few days as well. Considering Conlan's previous blowout, I wanted to be sure we had appropriate food with us. SO, we ran to the grocery store on the way to the zoo, finally getting there about 30-45 minutes later than originally planned.

Okay, back to the zoo. We had a good time, but it was COLD in the morning. Oklahoma has this knack for attracting biting winds, and today was no exception. When we left Jessica's house (the mom I met), it was not that chilly, but as the winds picked up it got worse. Thankfully, our zoo has lots of indoor areas where you can view animals...like the gorillas and chimps. (The animals are outside, but there are both outdoor and indoor viewing areas. The indoor areas have information kiosks inside.) We than ate lunch, played on the jungle gym, and drove home.

I put Conlan down for a nap and checked my email, where I found that I would need to make two casseroles for MOPS tomorrow. I also needed to finish Conlan's room and laundry. Instead, I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up when my dad called me on his way home from work. I told Jonathan I would make baked potatoes, and I wanted to make twice-baked ones. For some reason, these particular potatoes didn't bake. *sigh* So Jonathan had to pick something up on his way home from work.

In all my complaining here, I didn't quite get to my point. Normally, my Mondays start with weekly grocery shopping, a trip to the library, and a quiet afternoon at home working on laundry. Tomorrow I have MOPS in the morning and a doctor's appointment in the afternoon, so it's going to be hard to get grocery shopping done tomorrow.

Basically, I got so off schedule today that I'm afraid I'll be off all week. As I've mentioned a lot before, I'm a creature of habit...

2 comments:

The Peacock Pearl said...

sounds familiar. i think i'm finally starting to learn to really examine my weekly schedule before committing to something extra.

Laura said...

Monday's are always crazy! I like to keep them busy-free but that never happens! Believe their will always be "poop"! Literally or figuratively!

Keep your spirits up!! We are all there with ya!