Do any of you LeTourneau-ites remember the Peculiar People act that used to come during Orientation week? It was a man and a woman, and they did little skits. Well for some reason, I've been thinking about one skit all morning. It was based on Luke 18:9-14, where the Pharisee thanks God that he is not like other men, and the tax collector comes with humility to God's throne. Well, in the skit, he acts like the Pharisee, and she truly repents of her sins. She stands up and says something along the lines of, "Jesus has forgiven my sins, and my burden has been lifted!" As the skit progresses, she gradually becomes more and more burdened by different obligations (which she does not do with a willing heart), and eventually, she adopts the attitude of the Pharisaic character. Where she once spoke of her burden being lifted with excitement and enthusiasm, she now mutters it without feeling and with some regret. The point of the skit is that often times in traditional Christianity we allow ourselves to be robbed of the true joy of Christ because of what we allow ourselves to do. Granted, serving in various areas is important, but we can do too much. I mentioned Angie from Bring the Rain the other day; she was talking about a book she had just read concerning burnout in the church.
Now, I'm not super heavily involved in church right now; however, I feel like I've been burning myself out in life. My sister called me Monday wanting to have a baby shower next weekend in Houston. (It's an 8 hour drive...plus "getting out and walking" time required at this stage in my pregnancy, so all in all about 10 hours.) I had a meeting for MOPS the Thursday before the shower, and I would have already been in Houston. Potty training has taken a bigger step. I've been getting up early every morning. My burden, which was once easy and light, had become heavy and very difficult.
Yesterday, I decided against the shower in Houston until after Vera comes. I will be able to make my MOPS meeting, which I really wanted to be there for. I'm still working on potty training, but I'm relaxing a little bit on it and letting Conlan take his time. This morning I slept in until 7, which I needed, but I still plan on getting up early. (Jonathan and I are taking steps toward getting to bed earlier.) I feel like I can once again say with enthusiasm, "My burden has been lifted!!"
Well, off to get going on my day. We don't have major plans, other than to get little bits of cleaning done. I have a few things to knit, so that's also on the list. It's nice and relaxing though, so yey! Enjoy your day...I tend to have a better day if I stay off the computer for a while. So I probably won't be back for a while. :)
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Lifted Burdens
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment