Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Whirlwind Update

If you're a friend on Facebook, then you probably can see why I haven't been posting lately. Here are a few updates...

-Yesterday we got a new (used) car. Jonathan sells them for a living, so we got a great deal on an '08 Toyota Sienna. (No, we didn't haggle the price down. Jonathan works at a no-haggle dealership, but he does get an employee discount. Plus his manager was feeling generous with trade amounts [not just with employees] so we got more for our Mazda than we could have sold it for outright.) After our last road trip, we decided that if we ever wanted to travel again, we needed a bigger vehicle.

-As I mentioned in my last post, we have been sick. Boogie Wipes (fabulous product...look them up if you have toddlers; they're saline-soaked tissues) and suction bulbs have been my best friends. Conlan finally started to get better last night when we remembered to set up the humidifier in his room. Now, after various medications and 5 boxes of tissues later, our heads are finally starting to clear. Side note: does anyone know why Zyrtec is not recommended for breastfeeding moms? It specifically says that on the bottle. I called a lactation consultant about it, and she said it simply decreases milk supply. It just seems weird. I should just call my doctor...

-My younger sister and brother-in-law came to visit. We've had a lot of visitors in the past month, as was the case when we first moved here last year. We never seemed to lack in the friend area. Funny. In the first months we moved to Oklahoma, we had more people come see us here than in the two and a half months we were in Shreveport. Then again, after living in Shreveport, I can honestly say I would have trouble visiting there as well. Back on topic: in the past month we've had Jonathan's sister, brother and sister-in-law, our friends Lindsay and Andrew, and my sister and brother-in-law. During that time, we've also taken a trip to visit both sides of the family. Whew!! It's been busy. Next week Lindsay and Andrew come back through again. (His parents live in Kansas, so they stop at our house to turn a 10 hour trip to two 5 hour trips.)

-My children have been cute, but quite a handful. Conlan has been somewhat of a precious monster...with potty training and all that starting up again, he's been a little defiant and ALL boy. Coming from a family with no brothers, I am confused quite often on how to deal with all of that. Vera is quite a porker. She wants to eat ALL the time. I'm still feeding her every two hours most of the time during the day, though I get a good 5-6 hours of her at a time at night. I guess in the afternoon she generally sleeps for 3 hours or so. Oh, by the way, she turned two months old last Friday. I got to celebrate the wonderful day by taking her to the doctor, where she got 5 shots in her leg, plus an oral immunization. (I know some of my readers are non-vaccsers; please realize that we DID research before we decided to vaccinate.)

-Our house seems like it's been falling apart. It hasn't been, but little "big" things have been happening to stress me out. Our garbage disposal jammed a few weeks ago. We thought we were going to need to replace it. But with some good rubber gloves and good old-fashioned elbow grease, I pulled the plastic baby spoon out that had been jamming it. We have to replace some door knobs; I have a key that broke off in one. That key works for two doors that we keep locked anyway, but we need to replace them both if I can't get the key out. The big thing is our water heater. I may have mentioned that our water heater is leaking. Thankfully, we have a friend from church who knows how to replace those, and he's coming out to our house tonight to show Jonathan how to install it. My hope is that I no longer have a perpetual wet spot on my carpet by the end of the week. :)

-Our anniversary is this weekend. :) On Friday, Jonathan and I will have been married 5 years. You know, it's quite amazing how long and yet so short 5 years can seem. I don't know what we're doing yet; my mind hasn't been clear enough to decide. But today things have started coming back to me. Which leads to the next point...

-The tv has been off all day. (Amazing how well that works, huh?) This morning was vaguely nightmare-ish. Conlan is generally a VERY respectful little boy who behaves wonderfully in public. Today it was not so. Something in him was determined to be disobedient in every possible way. So, where we usually watch some Little Einsteins, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Super Why (PBS show) a little every day, he was grounded from television. I'm kind of at the point where I don't need to rely on tv or movies as much as I did earlier on. I kinda used it as a crutch during the harder days of Vera's life. This has produced a problem: my toddler would rather watch tv than play with blocks or trains or read a book. It's something that I've noticed and have just not been disciplined enough to fix. So, as a punishment, he lost tv privileges. Anyone who says that tv does not have a negative influence on behavior is wrong. I notice it within myself as well. The more tv I watch, the more belligerent I am. So, an afternoon of quiet with my thoughts and prayers made a difference in my mood. Conlan is doing much better today as well.

Okay, so sorry for the long update. I will be attempting to blog more often now that life has (sorta) slowed down.

Here are some pictures for your trouble. :)









8 comments:

Bethany Bassett said...

That picture of Vera grinning is so adorable! I'm jealous of her eyelashes. :) And happy anniversary, by the way! I hope you and Jonathan are able to take a bit of time off together.

Kate said...

Is it Zyrtec-D? I know that pseudoephedrine dries you out in general, so it decreases milk supply. But I didn't know just plain Zyrtec did that. The pediatrician told me it was fine when I was nursing Emily, so I have taken it and I haven't had milk supply problems. =) Happy anniversary! I haven't finished reading your whole post but Lainey is wet and out of the bathtub and I still needed to wash her hair, lol.

Connie said...

Five Years! Wow. It doesn't seem like that long--yet it does. The kids are doing so well. Great photos.

Jonathan said...

Happy Anniversary Honey! I love you!

Kimberly said...

Vera is beautiful and Conlan is adorable! Happy Anniversary!!!

So jealous on the new car:)

There's a line of doorknobs by Kwikset at Home Depot that you can rekey yourself (I don't know how it works but apparently it takes like 2 minutes). SO....you could buy one of those for the broken knob and then rekey it using the key for the other knob. May simplify things for you:)

Grandma Janes said...

I thought of you yesterday on your anniversary. My parents were married on the 6th of June so the two dates are easy to remember. Two wonderful kids in 5 years, life has been good to you and yours. Love Grandma Janice

Jonathan said...

Holy cow honey! Look at the last picture on here...Conlan's head is almost as big as yours!!

Kelly said...

Kate, it was just regular Zyrtec. I'm just taking it anyway. So far I haven't had any supply problems. Jonathan, he was just closer to the camera. His head is big, but not THAT big...