Thursday, March 27, 2008

Babysitters

You know, I was reading a comment made by Amiee, and it got me thinking about the wonderful people who helped us out with watching Conlan while I was working. Here's what we had.

After Conlan was born, Connie, my fabulous mother in law, watched Conlan for a month and a half until she and Tom left for Columbia to adopt the two wonderful children they now have had for over a year.

After Connie, Patti watched Conlan for four weeks. Now, the Hubers were living with them at the time while they were waiting to move into their new house. And Patti's youngest son is around 20. So there hadn't been children there for a while. The Hubers had three (and a fourth part of the way through).

Next was Adriana. Adriana was a Godsend throughout the process. She had been watching the little girl of one of my co-workers since August, and she offered to take Conlan on as well. She had three of her own, and just found out she was pregnant again. She takes on a lot, and handles "a lot" very well...much better than I would. I told her at the beginning to let me know if it was too much watching Conlan, and after about a month and a half, she told me it was.

Oh my goodness!! In my tired state, I forgot one VERY important person. Jessica watched Conlan for about 3 to 4 weeks during this time. She was SO helpful and willing to watch him full time, but her husband got a new job in Lindale, so they moved very soon after. I'm so sorry Jess!!

Dana watched Conlan for a week while I looked for someone permanent. It was VERY helpful.

Through the homeschool group in Longview, I found Laura. Laura watched Conlan throughout the summer. He LOVED her two boys, and her boys were fond of him as well. Laura was a dream come true. I had originally planned on quitting work in August though, and that was the arrangement I made with Laura. She watched him halfway through September, and then needed to sell her house.

Leigh watched Conlan for a week to try it out. She had an opportunity to teach art for the homeschool group though, and that was a perfect fit for her.

Adriana volunteered to watch Conlan again. The mother of the other girl she was watching was pregnant as well, and Adriana planned on watching both of those children. Conlan was a little more self reliant, and Adriana wanted practice with more kids. A week and a half into that, she went into early labor.

Colleen had offered to help if needed. She has three girls that were great for Conlan. Colleen watched Conlan for two weeks, as I had told Adriana I would bring him back to her if she could handle it. (She had asked me to.)

Adriana's mom was down from Oklahoma for a while so that Adriana could watch the kids. After two weeks, she went back to Oklahoma...Adriana was better. She watched Conlan until Christmas break. Her baby was born over break.

Connie watched Conlan for a few days before homeschooling started back up again. My first day back from Christmas break, I put in my two weeks notice for full time. I would be part time until our house sold. Patti watched Conlan for the rest of the full time and was willing to watch him for the rest of my part time. My last day of work was February 20th. :)

I don't know if I can ever thank those who served our family enough. Every single one of them was essential and a blessing in every way. I am privileged to know some of the most incredible ladies in the world. Thanks to each and every one of you for blessing us and loving our son so much!

1 comment:

Adriana said...

You're so sweet. We so enjoyed having Conlan and seeing you guys a lot. We miss it. Somehow you blog didn't make it into my google blog reader! If I don't get the reminder of updates, I forget to read all the blogs I keep up with. I'm aggrivated at Steff because I can't add hers since they're not on a regular server. ;) I'm adding you now, so I'll do better at keeping up.

We still need to get together!! This week has been crazy with getting back and Tom's jetlag and us all being horribly sick (I threw up 5 times in half an hour today!) But I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, so give me a call next week if you're in town! Love you and miss you.
-Adriana