Or at least it was yesterday. Today it's rainy, which is beautiful in its own way. However, yesterday was divine. We got home from church at about 3:00. (We drove into Longview for church and then went out to eat with some friends we hadn't seen in a couple weeks.) We were all VERY tired because of the time change, but Jonathan and I decided that instead of sitting down or taking a nap, we wanted to go spend time outside. There's this wonderful little park with a duck pond about 5 minutes away, so we drove there. We took Oscar with us.
So we walked around this park (which was packed, by the way) for about an hour. Conlan and Oscar both made friends with the little kids playing. Conlan shouted "Duh! Duh!" (Duck! Duck!) over and over. Not to mention "Kak, kak!" (Quack, quack!). He just loves the ducks. We also learned that he LOVES to slide. He likes swinging, but sliding is his favorite. We sent him down once by himself, with me at the top and Jonathan at the bottom. We had a mom look at us and go, "How old is he?" That's okay. Her kid wasn't the little thrill-seeker ours is. Right now, he sitting on the couch next to me trying to drink out of a 20 oz bottle of Mountain Dew. We don't let him have cokes yet, but to me, it's just a preview of what's to come. I should start preparing myself for broken arms and legs.
I discovered this website this morning. I think I've seen Kate mention it somewhere. It's www.expelledthemovie.com. It's about how scientists who believe in intelligent design are ridiculed and ostracized from the scientific community. It is a movie by Ben Stein. If you don't know who that is, then watch the trailer. You'll probably remember the voice as the "Anyone? Anyone?" teacher from Ferris Bueller's Day Off (or at least know the reference). This is the thing about Ben Stein. He is regarded as one of the most intelligent men of our time. There was even a gameshow called Win Ben Stein's Money (he's also rich) on Comedy Central where contestants would try to beat Ben in a trivia game. When people won, they actually won Ben Stein's money. Ben is a Jewish man who believes that if America is going to proclaim freedom of expression, it should be universal to all areas. He exposes that the scientific community is hostile towards anyone who attempts to prove intelligent design is a valid scientific theory. I don't believe that this is coming from a religious standpoint. Please take note of this. This isn't a religious film in any manner (as far as I can tell). This is a film that wants to credit intelligent design as a valid theory. Now, I would LOVE to see this movie. I have heard over and over that science and religion don't and can't mix. People who believe that they are intertwined are often accused of being close-minded and looking at science with an agenda. Honestly, this couldn't be further from the truth. I believe that refusing to see connections that are clearly there is what is close-minded. Science can never bee looked at from an unbiased viewpoint. It's impossible. I learned that in seventh grade science. Results can always be interpreted in a way that achieves the desired result. Darwinism is biased. And frankly, I don't want to live in a world where I was created with no purpose or meaning. If I've offended anyone, I apologize. But realize that just as you have the right to believe in Darwinism, I have a right to believe in intelligent design. My children have a right to learn intelligent design in schools (even though the courts say otherwise, which is why I will homeschool). If you agree with me, check out the website. Look up the movie. Go see it when it comes out in April. And do something about it. Call your senator. Write a letter. Something.
Sorry about my little side soapbox there. Love you all!
Monday, March 10, 2008
It's a beautiful day...
Labels:
Expelled the movie,
park
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Thanks for talking about the movie, Kelly. It sounds really interesting and I'd love to see it. Even the trailer gave me so many things to think about (and of course laugh about...in Galileo's day Intelligent Design could be discussed, but he was jailed by the Church for some of his ideas. Things have certainly changed;)
Conlan is ADORABLE, btw. He just keeps getting cuter:)
Kimberly Hellmuth
Post a Comment