Monday, March 31, 2008

Stir Crazy!!

Well, today I hope to get Conlan outside. It's been raining non-stop since Saturday night, so there's not much chance of that. The storm that is sweeping across the country seems to be hovering over the East Texas/West Louisiana area. We actually haven't gotten the worst of the storm. An hour to the east, they had golf ball sized hail coming down Saturday night. (We left Jonathan's parents' house about 5 minutes before the hail hit. By the time it started falling, we had gotten on the interstate and were in front of the storm. For pictures, click here and scroll down a bit.) One to two hours to the South of us, there were tornado warnings again. The worst we got in Shreveport were flickering lights and LOTS of lightning. Very pleasant, actually.

You know, I love the rain...and the cold. But I can now understand the importance of a sunny day for a family with young children. Conlan is old enough to need to run around. I don't mind him running in the apartment, but when he doesn't have time to go outside, his energy builds up and he gets out of control. At 17 months. Crazy.

Yesterday, we decided to go back to Springs of Grace again. I am so glad we did. As long as we're in Shreveport, we'll be attending there. The pastor was sick, so a different man preached. I'm not sure exactly what he does at the church; he led worship last time we were there, and he mentioned that he led the Disciple Now conference for the youth a week ago. So, maybe he's the music minister and youth leader. I don't know. Anyway, he had short notice for the sermon (which can sometimes be a bad thing.) But he decided to preach on one of the D-Now topics used the week before. He talked about the paradox of being raised with Christ, but not yet raised. Oh, I LOVE getting into the paradoxes of Scripture. The message was so convicting; how many of us actually live our lives daily like we are raised with Christ? I know I don't. It's not something I remember from day to day, but I need to. It's a life-changing thought, and I pray that I'll never forget that again.

After church, we ironically resolved to do nothing for the rest of the day. Jonathan has been tired and so have I. So we had a family day of relaxing and watching movies. We don't do that a lot, and it was needed. Plus, with the rain outside, there wasn't much else that we could do other than housework. And Jonathan and I both needed a break from that.

So today, I resolve to live as someone who has been raised with Christ. I resolve to let there be silence in my house once in a while. And I resolve to make better use of my time and make it more geared towards worship of God.

5 comments:

Life with the Akin Clan said...

Just a quick note on getting Conlan out to run...try your local Chick Fil A's or Mickey D's. You can just order a drink while he runs off energy. There are always other mommys there so you may even meet someone. Just a suggestion! My son was the same way about needing to run so I remember those feelings. Have fun!

The Peacock Pearl said...

we like the gladewater dairy queen. if it's a rainy weekend we always drive there to let the kids run around. i'm sure in shreveport there's a good indoor playplace somehwere :) we miss you guys.

The Peacock Pearl said...

oops it's the white oak dairy queen, not that you'll be driving there, but still had to correct the mistake. :)

Bethany Bassett said...

I'm so glad you were able to find a good church. That always makes a move so much easier.
By the way, I keep forgetting to tell you congratulations! Hooray for Baby #2!!!

Connie said...

Hooray for rest! Even God rested on the 7th day. That's one of the things the Sabbath is for. ;) I'm glad you got a break.