Sunday, March 16, 2008

Surprising Sunday

Today was an interesting Sunday. It started out at about 7:00 or 7:30 am. Jonathan and I, even though we loved Springs of Grace, decided that we wanted to look around a little bit more. Well, this church was definitely a surprise. For the sake of propriety, I'm going to keep the name of it to myself. It's a huge church. I loved their website. But the church...the church we did not love.

It was very insincere. The worship was lifeless and performance-like. The message was weak. Call me picky, but when someone is sloppy with historical or cultural context, it upsets me a lot. Essentially, the topic of the message was fine. But the execution was terrible. We actually left a few minutes early.

As we were leaving, we walked by a sign for a ministry. I can't remember the name of ministry, but the acronym was SAFE. I thought that this described the church perfectly. In my opinion, the only thing that should be safe in a church is the nursery. So needless to say, we regretted not going to Springs of Grace this morning. We'll see what we do next time.

I mentioned that I'll be travelling to visit great grandmothers this week to introduce my boy. Well, my mom and grandmama came today to spend the night. I was expecting them this evening, but my second surprise of the day came when I got home from church. They were waiting by our door. (Jonathan knew.) So we enjoyed a day with them. :)

We leave tomorrow morning. I'll be back on Wednesday.

5 comments:

sarah said...

I totally understand about the church thing! :-) I went to one church that preached on I Sam.17 and then another churched that just happened to preach on the same chapter but the sermon's were like day and night! Needless to say - I'm now attending the non-safe one :-)

love you.
sj

p.s. what's your new address? i sent you a letter in feb. but now I'm wondering if it got to you...

Vashey Fam said...

I love that you guys aren't about being "safe"! I am going to miss Conlan's curls aka the fuzzy mullet. I had such a relaxing and refreshing lunch with you and your little man! Wyatt talked about it for hours afterwards...no, really he did! I need to come out to you guys. That boutique sounds fun. We could do some exploring! have fun at your family's!

Nadine said...

Our church is a bit outside the box - does that make us unsafe.

Connie said...

You are blogging again! Yes! Very important now that you're not in the same town with me. :) Thanks!

Kelly said...

Nadine, I tend to find churches that refuse to leave the box safe. I would consider your church being outside the box as "unsafe." It's outside the box because it's willing to do things differently, correct? This church I attended was so big, they had taken over a mall! The financial resources, not to mention the manpower, could be used in SO many ways! And they very well may use their resources wisely. However, it was not evident from the service that they took any chances in ministry or missions. I pray that I'm wrong, which is why I chose not to name the church.