Okay. So I just finished 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was weird. The story itself was not bad; in fact, it was pretty good, and scary in a disturbing way. But it only lasted about 45 minutes of a 2.5 hour movie. The rest was all artsy and weird. I can see how it could have become a cult classic.
My recommendation? There are probably other movies out there about homicidal computers that have better plot lines, but you won't get the experience that you get from 2001. I can't say that I enjoyed it, but I liked it...I think. But I didn't get it. Kubrich uses classical music to increase the intensity of a movie where nothing really happens. And in all actuality, I don't think it's about a homicidal computer at all. It's really about the futility of life. You live, then you die...I think. Kubrich didn't have a very positive outlook on life, did he?
So, if you can get past the long, pointless scenes (which have some impact on the movie...I think) and the operatic bees in the background (you'll understand if you watch it), it's worth watching once. But only once. Just to say you've seen it. And also to recognize all the references made to it in other movies. And to know what it might possibly be like to be on drugs...the end of the movie is remeniscent of a Pink Floyd music video...I think. It looked like a bunch of Andy Warhol paintings glued together...for 20 minutes. Anyway, that's my review. Have a great day!
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
2001
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment