Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Recycling and Cheap Groceries

Quick little side note: I recorded Stanley Kubrich's 2001: A Space Odyssey the other day, and I'm watching it while I blog and work. I wanted to watch it because it's a cult classic and highly regarded as an artistic masterpiece. It has to be one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Back to what I was going to say about recycling. Now, I'm not really buying into the whole global warming bit (this is a soapbox I'm not going to get on right now), but I am a firm believer that we need to take better care of what God has given us to take care of. This would be our home, our bodies, our children, our money, etc. Our earth falls into this category. So, now that it's available to us, we've started recycling. We haven't been doing it for more than a week, and I am amazed at how much we throw away when it could be recycled. Our trash company accepts any type of recyclable labeled 1-7, which covers mostly everything. All we do is put it out when our trash is picked up. Anyway, I'm glad to be a part of something bigger than myself. I want to contribute to making God's earth a better place.

On a completely different note, I've been looking for a cheaper way to grocery shop lately. I've been using Wal-Mart and Sam's, but even that is pricey sometimes. Well, Jonathan asked around at work, and we were told about a few different places to go. The first place is called Aldi. Aldi is a small store that sells things in bulk. They have a gallon of milk for $2.49 and a dozen eggs for $.99. There wasn't much else there I was interested in. If we ate a lot of snack foods, maybe. It was a lot like the sweets aisle at Sam's. The second place was Crest. Crest is pretty stinking awesome. I went last night for a quick trip. I bought a frozen pizza, a two liter of Dr. Pepper, sliced cheese, and three toddler meals for Conlan, and I only spent $12. When I went today for the normal grocery shopping, it was like a cheap trip to Wal-Mart. I should, however, still use Wal-Mart for toiletries and such. My trip would have been much cheaper without contact solution, face lotion, toothpaste, razors, shaving cream, and bandaids. Wal-Mart's prices were much better on those. Oh well. Lesson learned. The third place to go is an Asian market. This is a good place for produce, and it comes from local farmers. I love the idea of shopping locally. As cool as Wal-Mart is, I love to support the smaller businesses. Aldi and Crest are Oklahoma owned and operated (by the same people, in fact), so if I can shop there, I will.

Have a wonderful day!! God bless!

1 comment:

Connie said...

Very cool! Yes, I'd shop locally if I could. I hate to support the mega corporations. How cool that you have options. :) And for local produce, that's way better, too.