Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there! You deserve it!


Today started off badly, to be honest. I woke up in a funk and so did Conlan. So Jonathan was dealing with lots of crying and whining. He ran to the store to get me some flowers (awwww!!), and by the time he got back, we were going to be late for church. So we opted for an early lunch instead. I wanted soup and salad, but on the way there, we saw On The Border, and both of us decided we wanted Mexican food. So that's what we had. By the time we got back, it was time to head up to Bethany to pick up our hutch. We got it, and then we made a little detour to the store that had those teacups I wanted. Jonathan bought them for me in addition to a Home Depot gift card (which can only be used on things I want and not things we need). I promised pictures, and here they are.



From May 2008


From May 2008


From May 2008



The hutch is smaller than we wanted, but it looks good. The tea set is a Japanese design called Lusterware. After we got all of that arranged, I headed into Conlan's room to try and finish painting. However, by the time we got part of the way through, it was time to head to church.

The one we were visiting had a 5:00 service, and we decided to do that instead. We got there, and almost no one was there. Apparently, they moved the service to 5:30. So we played around on the playground for a little bit.

When the service did start, it was pretty strange, but in a neat way. Most evening services are contemporary and laid back. This service was traditional and laid back. It was pretty typical of the Baptist churches I've been to. One person leads all of the music and conducts (sort of), and either a band or piano plays. This was just the piano. He had about 2 songs planned out, but then he asked us to just yell random numbers out of the hymnal of songs we wanted to sing. There were several that were pretty forgettable, but we did sing "Come Thou Fount," "Amazing Grace," and "Be Thou My Vision." It was the strangest, but one of the most wonderful worship times I've had in a long time. There's something beautiful about singing from a hymnal...I don't do it enough.

The message wasn't necessarily anything spectacular, but it was just what I needed to hear. He talked about how often we let the stress of life weigh us down, and it's easy to forget how God is not only in control, but strong. He read Psalm 18:1-3 and focused on the end of verse 2: "He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." (One of my favorite songs ever comes from that Psalm...if you have the Enter the Worship Circle cd, let the last song play. It's the secret song at about minute 8.) But he quoted a verse at the beginning that really hit me. Psalm 55:22 says, "Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall." It just meant a lot. I have had a really hard time getting over this miscarriage. Every time I think I'm over it, something happens that makes me break down all over again. Life just feels unbearable and overwhelming sometimes. I don't like that feeling, especially because I know it affects my child.

After church we found some Chinese food (I wanted Korean but the place was closed) and headed home. Conlan was put to bed after dinner, and Jonathan and I worked hard to finish Conlan's room. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the finished product. It seems a little dark, but because of the texture we can take white or a lighter blue and paint a light coat over the darker blue.

Anyways, I'm headed to bed. Good night to all and I hope you had a happy Mother's Day! I know I did!

1 comment:

Connie said...

You are entitled to a funk. Don't feel bad for mourning your baby!! I know you know this, but it's normal, and good, and right. I'm so sorry. I love the hutch, and especially the teapot and cups. So pretty!