Thursday, May 08, 2008

Finally Back Up

Hey everyone! We finally have internet at home!!

When did I last write? Ahh...Sunday night.

Monday was pretty good. I think I failed to mention that we spent Sunday afternoon looking for kitchen hutches in the antique district. If you love antiques, PLEASE come up and visit me as opposed to going out to Jefferson or Gladwater. I know that seems strange, but the prices of antiques up here are SO cheap!! I remember a few years ago looking for a hand-crank record player in Jefferson, and they were WAY out of my price range. $200-$600 or more!! Well, we found one for $125. I know that's still expensive (and I don't need a record player anymore), but the prices are much better up here. One shop owner even mentioned that Texas dealers will buy things in OKC and take them down to Texas to sell them for more. Anyway, we haven't found the right hutch quite yet, so tomorrow I'll try to go up to Bethany on Route 66 and check out their antiques. (How fun is that!?!?!?)

But back to Monday. I drove Jonathan out to his job for his first day of work; we failed to pick up a company car over the weekend. After that I took Conlan to his doctor's appointment. The PA told us that whatever we were doing was working and to keep it up. They didn't prescribe anything. Conlan and I continued to explore our little town of Moore after that. It's kind of like a suburb, but in the country. Honestly, it reminds me a lot of Hallsville. :) I loved Hallsville. I drove to the street behind my subdivision, and I found a farm that has hayrides and horseback riding and such. More driving brought more country. Oklahoma is just very laid back. The whole state is small town-ish. (I'm sure Ginger and Adriana both know what I'm talking about.) Jonathan volunteered to work late Monday night, so he didn't get home until after 8.

Tuesday was a little more difficult. I've been struggling again with the lonliness and depression a little bit, though it is easier than being in Shreveport...I want to be here. There was the looming threat of storms all day, but it never rained. But I stayed home all day, not wanting to drive in the stormy weather. I did get a lot of unpacking done though.

I forgot to mention!! Nate and Anna stopped by on their way home on Tuesday night. That was SO wonderful. It's been a while since we've seen them, and I missed Anna's baby shower. So it was nice to be "on the way" home for them. We didn't go anywhere special (Texas Roadhouse), but it was wonderful to see familiar faces...not to mention people that we love. I got a little more time with them than Jonathan did. They hit our town around 5:15-5:30, and Jonathan didn't get off work until 6. So they hung out at our house for a little bit, then we met Jonathan at the restaurant. It was so nice to have someone we know come through. The great thing about OKC is that happens quite often. :)

Wednesday was my low point for the week. Jonathan has to work every Saturday, so he gets Wednesdays off. You would think that would be a good thing, and it was. But we started off the morning getting our licenses transferred. It seems silly, but it was a very difficult thing having to turn over my Texas license. I'm officially a resident of Oklahoma. Anyway, we called Connie in the morning to get directions to the DMV. We got there, and it was pouring down rain. We ran in, only to find that we were in the wrong place. However, the people there were incredibly helpful and directed us to the nearest location we needed. After turning the wrong way multiple times, we finally got there. We walked in, and the nice woman there informed us that we had to have birth certificates or passports with us as well. So we headed home. (By the way, please note that my references to people being nice is not AT ALL sarcastic. Oklahoma has the kindest DMV representatives that I have ever met.) The first place we went to gave us a map and a list of all the places we could go, so we called the one that we thought would be closest to our house, and they gave us directions. It was only 10 minutes away!!! We got in there around 11:50 and were finished by 12:15. We then had to go to another location, which was 5 minutes from our house. We were through with the whole process by 1:15. The representatives were all sure to let us know that we picked the perfect day to do it, because no one wanted to be out in that weather. We didn't either. Jonathan went to work for a few hours to make some phone calls. I was feeling gross and soggy, so I ate some soup, put Conlan down for a much needed nap, and plugged the antenna into the TV. I didn't really want to watch TV, but I wanted to watch the American Idol results show. I had missed the competition, but I heard it was pretty obvious who would be kicked off. Anyway, I plugged in the antenna because I wanted to find Fox. So after getting dinner ready, I turned the TV back on. All of the channels had weather alerts on!!! It turns out that the north side of town had tornados touching down. I've been pretty scared about that lately, and I have realized (after many attempts from my husband for me to hear it) that I just have to give my fear about it to God. It sounds cliche and trite, but it's true. Well, I watched the weather alerts for a while, because I wanted to know what to watch for. I honestly feel much safer after seeing how precise they are with everything. They went off around 6:50 or so, just in time for American Idol.

This morning has been better. Most importantly, Jonathan woke me up earlier to make sure I got my quiet time in before Conlan woke up. Second, the sun is shining!! There are storms scheduled for Saturday, but only a 20% chance! The sun should be out for the next week. We had a lot of people come through our house this morning. At 9 a man showed up to fix a window that the previous homeowners took care of before they moved but couldn't have installed until after closing. After that, the cable/internet/phone man came through. Since then, we've had two sales reps from the same company come by trying to get us to sign up for alarm service.

Conlan's temporarily back to two naps a day. He's been really fussy and whiny lately, and he just does better when I put him down for another nap. (Steph, I think it's part of the bug you were mentioning.) As for American Idol, I don't think I'll watch another season. There's just too much drama. Don't get me wrong, I love drama as much as the next woman. But add 2-3 hours a week and it just gets to be too much. I'm glad that if I picked a season to watch, this was the one. My kind of music. I was pulling for Jason Castro (even though he is a po-thead), but now I'm pulling for David Cook.

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me through the long post. Now that I'm back up at home, I can write when I'm thinking about something. I don't have to let it build up like this. I miss you all! Have a wonderful Thursday!!

3 comments:

The Peacock Pearl said...

good to hear from ya! :)

Stephanie said...

Yeah for internet at home. Isn't it amazing how much we miss it when we don't have it. Hope your days get better and better. I'm so glad you feel "at home" even on the harder days.

Connie said...

Well, antique shopping sounds fun. And the farm that's just around the corner? I can see some of our kids being amused by that diversion on our visits.... Sorry to steer you wrong, but I'm glad it turned out ok in the end. :) Love you guys!