Friday, May 09, 2008

A Little Clarity

I was just reading Brenda's blog, and I watched the video for moms. I'm not sure it was intended to make moms cry, but all of a sudden I realized why I get frustrated like I do. At least a little bit...

I am a very goal oriented person. One line in the song is something like, "You work all day, but your work is never done..." and I realized...that's why I have such a hard time adjusting to being a stay at home mom! Every time I get things done, a cute little stinker comes along and un-does it. I swept the floor the other day; by the time I came back with the dustpan, Conlan had already taken the pile and moved it all around. As I'm folding clothes, he picks them up and throws them on the ground. I know that it's relatively harmless, and it's honestly really cute, but it gets annoying. I can't finish anything.

Aside from Conlan, there's the monumental task of unpacking and painting. Even without the stinker undoing everything I do, I still feel overwhelmed with work. Anyway, I know some of this is just moving stress, but it's a daily thing as well. I don't mean to complain. I just feel the need to vent a little bit. I know I'm not the only one who goes through this, and it just gets worse with more kids.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my venting. Just needed to share.

3 comments:

Nadine said...

I hope you realize you are not alone. It's not easy being a stay at home mom. It's a tough job. Don't let anyone ever tell you differently. Hang in there - you a need a little rest.

Bethany Bassett said...

Being a stay-at-home mom certainly isn't for the faint of heart! The best thing for me in days like that is to get us all out of the house. Though it's counterintuitive (I won't be able to clean while we're gone), we come back much happier AND no one was able to make messes while we were away. Double bonus! :)

Kate said...

Hey! If it's any encouragement, I think it's gotten easier as the kids have gotten bigger. And having two somehow helps. I guess because Lainey wants to do everything that Emily does. =) They actually help me clean. I don't remember the last time I wiped down a toilet myself - Em LOVES that job (eew!).

They put away a lot of their own laundry (panties, jammies, socks, their washcloths and towels) while I'm hanging the other stuff so it keeps them out of my piles AND helping me get it done at the same time. Em actually likes to fold the towels too and she does a good job, but she's so slow that I usually do it myself. Maybe this week I'll let it be her job. =P (My secret to having them put that stuff away is that I don't care if any of it is folded, except for the towels and I put the socks together before I give them to them.)

I do let them sweep with me and they still have no clue how to sweep. I have gotten better at "kitchen broom hockey" - keeping the pile for myself while they think they are sweeping, lol.

Anyway, I would love to go antique shopping together! Maybe Anna and I can drive down there if you know where to go. I have no idea where to go up here. Maybe Anna knows?