Thursday, September 04, 2008

Baby, it's Cold Outside...for September

It is a balmy 58 degrees outside right now. The high for the day is actually 83, but that's if the sun comes out. I know that's not really cold, but I'm already starting to get excited for the cooler weather coming. I always get inspired by cool weather. All summer I feel lethargic and cranky because of the heat, but when the weather starts to change, all of a sudden I want to bake and garden and create. Fall is definitely my season.

Our plans for today are pretty simple. We're running to Wal-Mart in the morning so I can get ingredients to make my own laundry detergent. It seems somewhat simple, and I know it saves money. We're then running to Gordman's (a discount store around the corner) to use our 50% off coupon that expires today. I think I'm going to get a fall decoration to put outside. If we have time, we're going to go to the library (again) for the Rhythm Babies class...Conlan will enjoy playing instruments. Then we'll come home, eat lunch, and Conlan will nap while I bake some pumpkin bread (and banana bread...I need to finish off those bananas, and I have GREAT recipes! Thanks!) and then it's nap time for me. Some time in there, I'll make my own detergent, because I ran out yesterday and I try to do laundry every few days.

On a completely different note, Jonathan and I sat down and talked (both with and without Conlan) about the boy's recent behavior. We decided that since he will tell us yes, he's sorry, we'll accept that for now, as long as he gives us a hug and a kiss. I'm not sure what we're going to do for please yet. (Yes, he is young, but he doesn't need to yell his demands at me expecting me to respond. I don't appreciate him screaming "NOKE!" (milk) when he's thirsty.) I think I'm shooting for a more polite request. Please doesn't have to be used, though he can say it and uses it without prompting in the correct context. This kid is smart, and I have to stay a few steps ahead if I'm not going to be walked all over.

2 comments:

Vashey Fam said...

Let me know your strategies when they work! Wyatt's throwing fits. He either tries to hurt me or himself when he's angry. It's hard when you don't know how much they understand.

Bethany Bassett said...

I'm glad you're figuring things out with Conlan. I know first-hand that it helps to have a supportive, involved husband "troubleshooting" the situation. :) How are you feeling, by the way? It sounds like you're managing to be plenty active even in the midst of first-trimester yuck!