Thursday, March 12, 2009

Wide Awake

It's the middle of the night, and I'm wide awake. I'm trying to decide if what I am going through right now is the real deal, or if I have a few more hours to sleep.

According to my doctor, this baby is coming soon. She is ready to come and moving fast! I just wish she'd wait until morning so I could rest.

We discovered the other day (while frantically preparing for Vera) that our infant car seat got lost in one of our many moves. I was storing it in a plastic bag in the attic, so most likely, it got tossed on accident. :/ Oh well. We had some Wal-Mart credit from when our crib was recalled, so we went ahead and got a new car seat with that money since it's more urgent than the crib. (We have a bassinet for when she's first born. Plus, the crib I REALLY want is out of stock right now.) It doesn't come in until the last week of March, however, so we're borrowing a car seat from a friend up here for now. They are going out of town tomorrow, so they brought it over last night. We got it all washed and adjusted for a new baby.

This is a much different experience from our first child. Conlan was induced and was literally hanging on. He did not want to come out. Vera is ready to come and face the world. It makes me wonder about the difference in their personalities. Conlan is definitely very stubborn by nature; it just gets more apparent as he gets older. As I said, it's been something he's possessed since birth. I think I've mentioned it before, but when they put him on the exam table right after being born, he grabbed tight to the table and wouldn't let go. They had to pry his hands off of the table. Conlan's stubbornness has manifested itself in wonderful ways though. He will build towers with blocks and knock them over for hours. He recognizes most of his letters, because he's very determined. He will play and play for hours on end (when he should be napping) so that he doesn't fall asleep. Yes, he's still stubborn, but he's also determined. I don't want to squash that determination. It's an incredible trait that will benefit him greatly in his future.

This makes me wonder if Vera is going to be a free-spirited little girl who is always ready to seize the day and find joy in the little things surrounding her. Maybe she'll be the child who always volunteers first, who cries when she sees someone else suffer, who giggles at butterflies and wildflowers. I'm excited to get to know the little girl who currently lives inside of me but is desperately trying to get out. (Seriously, have you ever seen the movie Alien? There's that whole thing about the alien coming out of the guy's chest. That's what I feel like sometimes.) She is ready to face the world! Yes, I think I am eager to meet this precious little girl. What a wonderful life God has given us...soon we will have two children with whom to laugh, cry, and appreciate His creation. I'm looking forward to this time...

3 comments:

sarah said...

Ah dear Kelly, your mother's heart is beautiful. :-)

Kate said...

::sigh:: Aren't they wonderful? =) I'm just seeing glimpses of what Bekah's personality is going to be like. I love getting to know my kids!

Vashey Fam said...

Yes, there is something alien-like about having another being in you. It's so weird and wonderfully cool to think about there being two souls in your body. Kelly I am praying for you guys and for your grandpa!