Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Generosity

God has really been laying it on my heart lately to be more generous. I like to read all of the penny pinching blogs and frugality websites, and I think I'm done. It has made me greedy and kinda mean. I mean, there's nothing wrong with using a coupon, but I don't want to use a coupon on something that I wasn't going to buy anyway. And what if something happens and I can't use it? I don't want to pitch a fit about my 45 cents. Anyway, like I was saying, God has really been telling me to be more generous. My money is not my money, but it's His money. Sure, we all know that, but how often do we REALLY put it into practice?

Well, this morning I was working on grocery shopping and stuff for our upcoming vacation (WAY excited). I had just left Wal-Mart and was headed to Radio Shack. I got out of my car, got Conlan out, and was getting Vera out, when a man with a gas can came by and asked if I had any cash. He was real embarrassed to ask. I didn't, but I loaded the kids back up and met him across the street (back at Wal-Mart). My initial reaction was to be frustrated with him for asking a lady with two kids. But I soon realized that God gave me a chance to be generous. I think his gas can only held $5 worth of gas. I spent $7 on breakfast when I had cereal at home.

I'm not writing this because I want to toot my own horn. I am sharing to show that God provides opportunities for us to do His work. When He really has some work for us to do, we can trust that He'll work in spite of us.

1 comment:

Nadine said...

Nicely put. You asked God to be more generous and here he presented you with an opportunity to and you did.