And surprise!! We actually got one!
Yesterday I was in my first blizzard, which coincidentally, was the worst blizzard in the history of Oklahoma City. (In all fairness, the state is only 102 years old.) We had a whopping 18 inches of snow yesterday. If I had skis, I'd go cross-country skiing down the street. The snow is really powdery, so it's not good for making snowmen or anything, but we've had fun playing in it this morning.
You know, all my life, I've kinda dreamt it would snow on Christmas. I love snow, I love Christmas, so what could be better? Well, God has really used it to catch my attention. Sure, the whole secular part of Christmas isn't bad within itself, but it is a distraction. It takes our thoughts and our hearts away from, if I may sound cliche for a minute, the reason for the season. There is something so deep to this holiday, and though there are good things about the way most of us celebrate, it's not the focus.
So snow on Christmas, as fabulously beautiful as it is, isn't THE reason to celebrate. In fact, Oklahoma was kind of devestated yesterday. We have a friend who was stranded last night away from his family. Thankfully, he was able to get to another friend's house, but he spent Christmas Eve less than 10 miles away from his family and unable to reach them. Snow is all great, but it was also a hindrance. Jonathan had to drive to Tulsa in the morning, and he was afraid for his life. When he finally did get to leave work, the road conditions were steadily getting worse. Now, you Northerners and Mountaineers and such may not think much of 18 inches of snow, but that's a lot for a city where most people have never seen chains or snow tires. Myself included.
Now that it's all over with, I can say I enjoyed it. Or at least once Jonathan got home from work. Anyway, I want to leave you with this today. This is one of my favorite Christmas verses.
"For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
--Isaiah 9:6
Merry Christmas!
Friday, December 25, 2009
I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment