Lately, I have had this need. A desperate need...to create. I think I go through this every year. I'm not quite sure why it comes when it does. However, it never fails. The time after Christmas is for tapping into my creative side and making something.
Knitting has recently sparked my interest. I've made a few hats recently that I love, and a friend asked me the other day to make him a scarf. I am not a fan of making scarves (they take too long), but I am excited about possibly selling something. I also have a friend having her first baby in a few weeks. I am getting ready to start on baby socks, a hat or two, and a diaper to-go pouch.
On another note, I have once and for all committed myself to potty training my precious little man. I took a few weeks off because of major Vera issues. She cried consistently for a few days, and a trip to the doctor revealed an ear infection and a dried-up milk supply as the culprits. It's amazing how pain and hunger can make a child so upset so quickly. :)
I have also decided that it's time for some basic homeschooling. I don't have a need to have a 1 year old girl that reads or a 4 year old that can solve complex math problems, but if I am really and truly going to homeschool, it's time to get myself disciplined. Mardel was having a curriculum sale on Saturday, so I grabbed some basic preschool stuff to start this semester. I will probably be really relaxed and school about 30 minutes a day at this point, but my main thing is my attitude. I need to learn to seize the teachable moments in the day, whether it be a spiritual or intellectual.
With so much going on, I'm sure my projects exceed the amount of time that I have. However, I will just do everything I can in the time that I have. Making the most of my time is the important thing, right? I'm actually going through Proverbs 31 in two separate Bible studies right now, and verse 27 comes to mind: "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." I have been eating a lot of idle bread lately...instead of quality time with my children, I have turned the television into a babysitter on most days so I can "relax" (e.g. be lazy). This has been going on for a few weeks, and I really am desperate to get back to the norm of television or a movie being a small reward instead of a staple. So I guess that's another desperate need. Getting back to reality and where God wants me to be as a mom.
I know this is a little scatterbrained and is ending kind of abruptly. I've been that way for a while now. Have a great day everyone. If you've had sub-freezing temperatures for the past few weeks, enjoy the 40-50 degree weather and take those kiddos outside to burn some energy! I know that's the plan for this afternoon here...
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
A Desperate Need
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
I've really gotten into crocheting/knitting/sewing over the past year or so--especially making presents. Unfortunately I'm several events behind. :-D I'm about to embark on my first knitted pair of socks.
I really enjoy reading your updates. I find them encouraging, too, as I'm trying to get a little more organized and be less lazy myself.
Enjoy the weather!
I can't believe Conman is old enough to even think about homeschooling him! That is amazing!!
Good luck with it! I know you will be amazing and have such great support!
I am definately going back to it next year! This year working and being away from the boys is killing me! I miss it so much!
Hope to see ya next time you come for a visit!!
dear kelly,
i think you are supermom.
love,
sarah jo
Post a Comment